Russian Giant Garlic Seeds
$16.00 – $26.00
4-6 Cloves per Bulb
Approx 40-60 Cloves/lb
Easy to Grow, Hardy, Large Sized, Mild Flavored Garlic
Longer Storing Garlic, Late Winter/Early Spring
Russian Giant garlic seeds
Russian Giant garlic seeds have a tighter skin then most garlic seeds, with the tighter skin it will keep longer. The skin is a brownish-purplish, and are easy to peel. Russian giant garlic seeds are very hot when raw, and are full flavored, with this garlic you can enjoy Russian giant garlic seeds through the winter and into the spring. This garlic is not uncommon to be 3 inches wide. Russian giant garlic seeds grow really good in the north, but the further south you get the more difficult they are to grow. It originated from the former USSR.
The variety is a hardneck garlic which means it will grow a garlic scape which is the flower of the garlic plant. The scape should be snapped off once the stem starts to curl to send the energy to the bulb rather than the flower. Garlic scapes are very tasty and can be used in stir-fry or however you use garlic currently.
You can make some delicious baked dishes with this hardneck garlic variety. With unique bright purple streaks on their thin skins, the Purple Stripes come in a number of varieties. Named after its intense purple stripes and spots on clove sheath and bulb covers the Purple Stripes look incredibly appealing. Due to an outstanding flavor, this garlic variety generally wins the ‘best-baked garlic’ taste tests carried out by Martha Stewart, Sunset Magazine, and Rod-ale etc. As the majority of the Purple Stripe strains develop 8 to 12, tall and arc-shaped cloves on each bulb (higher than Rocambole), the clove size is somewhat smaller. However, they have loose skin that can be easily peeled, just like the Rocambole. Although they have a tad longer shelf life than the Rocambole, their skin is quite similar to the Rocambole – loose and peels off easily. The Purple Stripes store well for around six months.
- We offer certified organic Russian Giant garlic seeds that are certified by MOSA (Midwest Organic Services Association) to be organic.
- These garlic bulbs are 1 3/4″+ diameter and are grown specifically for seed
- 4-6 Cloves per bulb
- Great roasted, flavorful crescent-shaped cloves that are easy to peel
- Medium-Large Sized, Mild Garlic
- Approximately 6-month storage life
Cool Garlic Facts:
- John Gunn recommended garlic as a diuretic, for treatment of infections, as a general tonic and for asthma, In Health Remedies garlic was recommended for lung diseases.
- It is from an Armenian village of Hadrut Karabach near the Azerbaijan border
- John King, American Dispensatory (1877) recommended garlic as a stomach tonic, for children’s diseases, coughs, hoarseness, catarrhs (inflammation of the mucous membranes especially sinuses), whooping-cough, and worms.
- Garlic was known as Russian Penicillin.
- In the 1950’s Chinese scientists used garlic to treat influenza.
- Garlic may change your genes, erase wrinkles, lower blood pressure, decrease fasting blood glucose, reduce cardiovascular risk, alleviate arthritis, reduce inflammation and more!
- Garlic also helps improve nutrition, it regulates iron metabolism and increases zinc and iron absorption from foods.
- Garlic may inhibit TB, and eliminate food poisoning microbes.
- The Word Garlic comes from Garleac, an old Anglo-Saxon word meaning “Spear Leek” It is from the lily (Liliaceae) family and related to onions, leeks, chives, and shallots